I recently heard Doug Fields say that once you reach 25, a youth pastor’s “coolness” plummets and the “cool factor” wears begins to wear off. I got hired at 23, and have been playing against the clock ever since. So I decided to list a couple of ways that I found that I’m a nerd. And the sooner I embrace this fact, the better.
– I quote movies that were popular when I was in high school like Billy Madison, Tommy Boy, Dumb and Dumber, Orange County, and (this one’s for you, Mark) Dirty Work. “Rediculous!” I have no desire to watch whatever garbage that’s being put out under the lable “comedy” because I’ve got all the hilarity I need in my own brain. Now if that last sentence isn’t a red light nerd alert, I don’t know what is.
– I listen to music that I like. I make little or no effort to “get to know” music that is popular now. I’ve turned into that guy who doesn’t care what’s popular because he knows what he likes. Last week I listened to: Sly and the Family Stone, The Who, Oasis, and the Newsboys (“Not Ashamed”; a fantastic album).
– I buy my jeans at Kolhs, my socks at Wal-Mart, and my shirts at….well, I don’t buy new shirts (I just dig deeper in the drawer). I’ve only ever been in Hollister or Abercrombie when I’ve been with someone who was shopping there. It’s funny, but the ol’ name brands mean less and less when prices keep going up and up. I do like Gap and H&M, but haven’t bought anything there in awhile.
– I carry a laptop everywhere I go. Even if it’s my Mac, it’s still in a case, and I carry it around like I’m working on something important. What’s worse, the shoulder strap broke, so now I have to carry it like a briefcase. I’m afraid it adds about 2 1/2 years to my already uncool look.
– I was in the marching band. I know this was awhile ago, but I don’t think I’ll ever be able to outrun this one.
– I go to bed around 10 every night. A couple years ago 10 o’clock was about the time we’d be getting people together to go play basketball. Now 10 o’clock means I’m locking the doors, setting my alarm for 6, and plugging my phone in. I’m still kind of a night owl, but there’s just not that much to do when your roommate would rather go to sleep than order pizza and watch Dirty Work. I’m fine with that, but man, I feel like such a nerd going to bed at 10 o’clock. (It’s 10:13, Amber’s asleep, Fox 8 news is on, and if this party gets any crazier, a funeral’s gonna break out! (Thanks to Rodney Dangerfield for that gem)
– I thoroughly enjoy watching the commentaries on my Simpsons dvd’s. I think this one speaks for itself.
So yeah, I’m a nerd. But I was told by a friend of mine when I started working at the church that students don’t need another cool guy in their life; they need an adult that cares for them, that loves them, and is going to walk alongside them in life. So I’m going to go listen to Oasis, watch a Simpsons episode (which I’m doing right now; Season 6) and type on my (pushes up his glasses) laptop.